Tuesday, September 28, 2010

More about drinking

Is anyone really surprised to learn that teens think sports drinks are healthy? I have a difficult time working up lots of outrage about this, especially when the researcher points out that "students who drink flavored and sports beverages such as punch, Koolaid and Gatorade are also more likely to engage in higher levels of physical activity as well as consume fruits, vegetables and milk." That's great, I think. They're exercising and eating relatively well.* Maybe I find this news less shocking than I should because I've seen the things that other people think are healthy. I can understand the logic between thinking that, say, a Special K bar is better for you than a handful of almonds, in the same way that antibiotics are better for infections than a jarful of leeches. I just don't know how to fight it. My children have been told since a very early age that "if you can't grow it, you shouldn't eat it," but how do you convince other, older kids that just because it's called a "sports" drink doesn't make it a requirement for sports? Is it just a matter of understanding advertising? I don't think so, because I know way too many adults who think that drinking diet drinks means they're on a diet.

Water update: We have not all managed to drink a glass of water before every meal. I've intentionally skipped a few because I didn't want to worry about finding restrooms when we weren't going to be home. That shows my true colors, I suppose. I prefer dehydration to inconvenience. The race approach was a big success, though, at least with one child. That kid can drink, and I've been reminded that we should have a "water race" a few times. I haven't won a single race. (I have, however, started to wonder if encouraging my kids to practice chugging down liquids as fast as they can isn't preparing them for some serious problems at frat parties later in life. Perhaps I should reconsider that approach.) I managed to get up to eight glasses yesterday, but my kids only got a couple each. Still, I'm a firm believer in "something is better than nothing." 

*Refer to my "something is better than nothing" philosophy, above.

No comments:

Post a Comment